How can I get a good price when buying a house?
Getting a good deal on a home is highly dependent on the current real estate market cycle. The real estate industry is cyclical and follows the broader economy which has periods of expansion and contraction. If you buy in a period of contraction, home prices will be cheaper across the board. Alternatively, homes will be more expensive, generally speaking, in periods of expansion.
While the state of the economy is out of your control, there are still several things you can do to get the best deal on your home. These include:
- Get preapproved for your mortgage before you start looking.
- Keeping your closing costs and agent fees to a minimum.
- Shop in neighborhoods that will appreciate over time.
- Buy a house in short sale or that’s been foreclosed on.
- Be prepared to act quickly.
- Decide on your bidding range and hold strong.